Thursday, October 18, 2018

RI Mock Newbery - October Reading List

It's that time again! I decided to start posting after our meetings so I can mark which ones are kept and which are dropped. 


SunnySunny by Jason Reynolds
My rating: 5 of 5 stars (committee agrees - KEEP)

A self-contained gem. My favorite of the series so far, I think.

p. 99: "Diary, I watned to tell her that was impossible, but she was so nice and she already had a broken arm, and I'd already almost died, so I felt like maybe we should let some of the small things slide."


The Truth as Told by Mason ButtleThe Truth as Told by Mason Buttle by Leslie Connor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (committee agrees - KEEP)

My first Mock Newbery-worthy read of the year. Great main character and storytelling.

p. 25: "Looks like someone made him out of paper clips and Scotch tape."

p. 58: "I couldn't read it. But I could hear and see that her parents are very fond of letters. And if she ever wrote one of those acrostic poems from her name, well, that would be very long."

p. 242: "This crazy, awful experience is probably preparing you for a really great decision somewhere down the line. Something no one can even guess about yet. ... How cool is that?"


A House That Once WasA House That Once Was by Julie Fogliano
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (dropped)

Oh Ms. Fogliano has such a command of language.





BobBob by Wendy Mass
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (committee agrees - KEEP)

I want a Bob in my closet! His voice cracked me up.






Front DeskFront Desk by Kelly Yang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (dropped, but considering for RICBA)

Powerful depiction of an immigrant family trying to make it. Or at least keep a roof over their heads. It gets a little "It's A Wonderful Life" at the end, but we could all use a happy ending. Mia pretty much is the embodiment of grit.

p. 82: "I used to think being successful meant having enough to eat, but now that I was getting free lunch at school, I wondered if I should set my standards higher."


Just Like JackieJust Like Jackie by Lindsey Stoddard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (did not discuss yet)

Beautifully written, although the entire situation nervoused me. And the grandfather refusing to tell Robinson about any of her family members - even back when he was fully there - was infuriating. But still a moving read.

p. 117: "I'm so sad at Grandpa's brain because I don't know how to diagnose his malfunction, and I don't even know if he knows that his check engine's light's on."

p. 126: "I do want to cut away at Grandpa's hard, thick bark because it feels really scratchy and crappy to keep rubbing up against it."

p. 166: "And I wish there were some wire brush to clean out Grandpa's corroded cables and reconnect them to his starter so he could ride out good as new too."


You Go FirstYou Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (dropped)

So glad I'm not a middle schooler any more.

Slow slips.
"You are a finch."
"There's this saying by Robert Frost. It goes, 'In three words I can sum up everything I know about life: it goes on."


Ghost BoysGhost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (dropped)

Wow. Rhodes delivers some gut punches. Like on p. 134 when Jerome realizes he had never really left his neighborhood. I was going to give an extra point for originality, but the tone shifts towards didacticism near the end, so point back off for that. Still, an important book that I will add to our collections.



ReboundRebound by Kwame Alexander
My rating: 3 of 5 stars (dropped)

3.5. Started out strong, then faltered a bit. I didn't think the poems were as "poetic" as those in The Crossover and Booked. But still a solid addition to any middle school library.

p. 377: "You gonna miss some. / Heck, you gonna miss a lot.
That's the way the real world works. / But you gotta grab the ball and
keep shooting. You understand?"


The Night DiaryThe Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
My rating: 3 of 5 star (dropped)

Extra star because I'm partial to immigration stories these days.

p. 130: "Amil is only being all he knows how to be. But I guess Papa is, too. I guess we all are. It's just that some people are better at being than others."




The Prince and the DressmakerThe Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
My rating: 3 of 5 stars (dropped)

Extra star for the tear in my eye when the king participates in the fashion show.





Be PreparedBe Prepared by Vera Brosgol
My rating: 3 of 5 stars (dropped)

Why did they put her in a tent with 14-year-olds?

And will parents complain about the term "tit head"?




The Book of BoyThe Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
My rating: 2 of 5 stars (committee disagrees - KEEP)

Oof. I started out really enjoying this one ... plague backgrounds always get me excited. And the writing elicited the period, and there was a mysterious quest ... and then we found out Secundus' back story. And that his key was magic. And then it started to be a chore to read. I thought relics were all pretend ... how could he really make his way to heaven by stealing them? (Nevermind that stealing is a crime.)

This is why I usually only buy books that I've read or that my kids have specifically requested. Winning awards (this is on a lot of Newbery contender lists, including RI) does not mean that a book will get checked out.


BreakoutBreakout by Kate Messner
My rating: 2 of 5 stars (dropped)

I thought it would never end. The race stuff was buried in among way too many other things, and wow those inmates were good at hiding!

Liked the reference to the Al Capone books, and I've read the majority of the books Messner mentioned at the end. Poor Mr. Russell wanting his library books back ... I feel his pain! I enjoyed Elidee's first few poems - I had never heard of a Golden Shovel / "striking line" poem before - but then it started to seem like Messner was just showing off. Finally, I did appreciate Nora's "leadership moments." And learning about cow shoes.

But overall, not a huge fan.


The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
My rating: 2 of 5 stars (dropped)

I enjoyed the first half, although I wanted more of Althea's stories. But from the time Alice and Finch got off the bus, it was a struggle to finish. Albert is a good writer with imagination, but the plot went off the rails and then became just boring. And I don't really understand how the Hinterland works.


No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work by Meredith C. Moore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.