Sunday, December 10, 2023

Mock Newbery 2024 - December List

I got through 5 more of the books on the list ... 7 if you count the ones I stopped reading. Posting after our meeting so we can see what made it to the finals.


 
You Are a StoryYou Are a Story by Bob Raczka
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this, but may skip the "You are a miracle" page when reading aloud for Mock Caldecott, because I don't want 6-year-olds asking me about zygotes.

VERDICT: Drop

 

The Song of UsThe Song of Us by Kate Fussner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Other "novels in verse," take note. This is legit poetry. So many good lines. So many different formats. And a poetry club to boot. With authentic tween voices. Eden's dad is the suck.

VERDICT: Drop



Good DifferentGood Different by Meg Eden Kuyatt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hold up. They never heard of accommodations? What kind of school is this? Does nobody in the entire place have a 504 or IEP?

I liked that Selah advocated for herself, but I did not like that her mom pretended not to have any of the same issues and refused to accept that she did at first. Also liked that while a couple of kids were bullies, most of them were just confused, and that Selah realized she had been jumping to conclusions, just as she assumed they were.

VERDICT: Drop



We Still BelongWe Still Belong by Christine Day
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked that it was short, took place all in one day, didn't have super mean characters, and had a sweet romance that culminated in HOLDING HANDS and a HUG GOODBYE.

But I had issues with Chris and mom ... they seriously broke up and he had nothing to do with the baby because of a last name? And had they been in touch throughout the past decade, or did he just stalk her social media, because he mentioned that she wasn't posting as much?

Also, can we PLEASE all stop using the term "Columbus Day"? Go Skye!

VERDICT: Drop

 

The Puppets of SpelhorstThe Puppets of Spelhorst by Kate DiCamillo
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Umm ... that was a children's book? No f'ing way would a kid have written that "play." And none of my students would read it. Even though the book is short and full of pictures.

VERDICT: Keep



DNFs: 

  • Hope in the Valley by Mitali Perkins (it's fine, but not a Newbery) - VERDICT: Drop

  • Conjure Island by Eden Royce (same) - VERDICT: Drop



Books I read for October that had been kept: 


Leeva At LastLeeva At Last by Sara Pennypacker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whoever wrote the jacket copy needs a better editor. Because I almost didn't even bother reading this one for Mock Newbery. But I figured "I can always just stop if I hate it." But then I did not! Because I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!

Definite Matilda vibes, which I did not mind one bit. SO MANY quotable lines. Leeva is a wonderful heroine. I teared up a few times. I hugged the book a few times. I am going to tell everyone I know that they should read this book.

Oh, and Matthew Cordell's illustrations were reminiscent of Quentin Blake's and worked so well. I don't know how to add images to Goodreads or else I would take some pictures and include them.

VERDICT: Still keep



The Labors of Hercules BealThe Labors of Hercules Beal by Gary D. Schmidt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

VERY reminiscent of "The Wednesday Wars," which is one of my favorites ever, and I'm ok with that, although the structure following the Labors of Hercules was a bit forced. Too coincidental that they even went in order. But a clever idea. However, I didn't feel as emotionally invested in Hercules as I did in Holling, and there were several stock figures, like Mr. Moby. Oh boy oh boy.

Still, Schmidt has a way with words.

p. 235: There was more light now - the clouds had shoved away and every star in the whole galaxy was glittering, and Orion was twisting his shoulders to watch, and the planet Jupiter had turned its lights up to High Beam, and Taurus the Bull was pointing his horns.

VERDICT: Still keep
  


What Happened to Rachel Riley?What Happened to Rachel Riley? by Claire Swinarski
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the interviews, emails, and texts, but the narrative parts seemed to sloooow everything down. While I understand how one of the characters was very torn between her public persona and her true feelings, the way she decided to avoid a situation was kind of ridiculous; the ending was kind of a letdown.

VERDICT: Drop




Simon Sort of SaysSimon Sort of Says by Erin Bow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For the most part, I liked Simon's voice and Bow's writing style. The whole microwave plot was confusing, though. And at 305 pages, the entire thing was too long.

P.S. I'm all for disgusting facts, but I CANNOT have someone talking about the smell of semen in a book in an elementary school library.

p. 28: To me, it kind of sounds like she doesn't know what to do with commas.

p. 77: "That squirrel is now thirty percent Jesus by volume," says Mom. "It's our new god."

p. 255: It starts to get dark, and then darker - that kind of blue dar, where you can still see everything, but the green of the trees and the red of Mr. Bagshott's emu barn both look black.
  
VERDICT: Still keep








VERDICT: Still keep
  

DNF: When Sea Becomes Sky by Gillian McDunn (fast-forwarded to the end to hear that there was a twist) - VERDICT: Drop


No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work by Meredith C. Moore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.