Friday, December 29, 2023

RICBA Nominees 2024

I don't know that I'll try to read every single book this year, since we will no longer be holding a district-wide Rooster Games, but I'm thinking about doing a schoolwide one next year since we now have twice as many students as we used to. 

Update: We didn't get a full set of the books until December, so I didn't promote until then, so I had time to get through the list. Here's what I thought about them ... favorites at the top. 


Killer Underwear Invasion!: How to Spot Fake News, Disinformation & Conspiracy TheoriesKiller Underwear Invasion!: How to Spot Fake News, Disinformation & Conspiracy Theories by Elise Gravel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't know how I managed to forget to review this, given that I bought my own copy and used it for 5th grade lessons in the spring. It is now part of my curriculum. So good. Sparked great discussion.
 

Swim TeamSwim Team by Johnnie Christmas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I never knew where the idea that black people can't swim came from ... but it makes sense that if you aren't allowed to go in a pool, then how the hell do you learn? Solid middle-grade story about overcoming the past and working towards the future.




The Whale Who Swam Through Time: A Two-Hundred-Year Journey in the ArcticThe Whale Who Swam Through Time: A Two-Hundred-Year Journey in the Arctic by Alex Boersma
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not sure if we can consider it "straight" nonfiction, since none of us can interview a bowhead whale about her feelings, and the mention of the Arctic warming being any kind positive gave me pause. But overall, a good presentation of how humans have changed the environment and informative backmatter to extend learning.
 

Fighting for YES!: The Story of Disability Rights Activist Judith HeumannFighting for YES!: The Story of Disability Rights Activist Judith Heumann by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So many kids have 504s, but I never thought about where the name came from.




King of the Ice (Miles Lewis #1)King of the Ice by Kelly Starling Lyons
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I finished in 10 minutes! Which means my kids might actually make it to the end in less than two weeks. Realistic portrayal of 4th-grade thoughts and problems with a Black protagonist; I am adding the series to my wishlist. And adding an extra star for being illustrated but not a graphic novel.
 

Marya Khan and the Incredible Henna Party (Marya Khan #1)Marya Khan and the Incredible Henna Party by Saadia Faruqi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Extra star for being SHORT and illustrated but not a graphic novel. As in, a FIC title my students might actually finish. Relatable story of a 3rd grader who makes questionable decisions and her supportive family. We need more books like this. Even if all the characters look the same in said illustrations.
 


Going Places: Victor Hugo Green and His Glorious BookGoing Places: Victor Hugo Green and His Glorious Book by Tonya Bolden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is very cagey about being nonfiction ... lots of "must have made" and "likely" and "maybe" and "I'm guessing" and "perhaps." And I hate the term "goo-gobs of information." But overall, pretty good. I will do it as a RICBA readaloud.



A Comb of WishesA Comb of Wishes by Lisa Stringfellow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well written, although several choices made by characters were frustrating to this adult reader. I definitely did not quite understand Mom's choice at the end



 

Zia Erases the WorldZia Erases the World by Bree Barton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Interesting concept, although I'm not sure erased-word fallout was always consistent.




 

Nothing Is LittleNothing Is Little by Carmella Van Vleet
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mom should have given him the info he asked for. And he should not have cheated. Frustrating choices! My favorite parts were the crime scenes.






 

Growing Pangs: (A Graphic Novel) (From the Universe of Growing Pangs)Growing Pangs: (A Graphic Novel) by Kathryn Ormsbee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Kacey moved without telling her? Wow. Maybe she needs some therapy too.

Reminiscent of "Guts," but for OCD v. general anxiety disorder. We need as many of these types of books as we can get.

 

Flipping Forward Twisting BackwardFlipping Forward Twisting Backward by Alma Fullerton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to the audiobook, and it took me a while to realize that it was supposed to be "in verse," because it read like just regular sentences.

Pros: It had relatable situations and was short.

Cons: 20 hours of gymnastics a week?!? Maybe Claire could spend some of that time working on controlling her emotions. Tony, an uncontrolled emotion instigator. The mom - WHO IS A DOCTOR?!? - refusing to even get Claire tested and declaring that any learning disability would reflect badly on her as a parent.

As far as RICBA goes, I'm giving this a 3 because my students might actually finish it.
 

When Winter Robeson CameWhen Winter Robeson Came by Brenda Woods
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The "verse" didn't seem like poetry to me at all, and it felt like the riots came out of nowhere. Granted, I was skimming at that point.



 

Expedition BackyardExpedition Backyard by Rosemary Mosco
My rating: 2 of 5 stars







Keepunumuk: Weeâchumun's Thanksgiving StoryKeepunumuk: Weeâchumun's Thanksgiving Story by Danielle Greendeer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The settlers STOLE the corn. And the corn itself told the First Peoples to just let it go and teach them how to plant it? Ok. But then there are these lines: "That meal changed both our lives and theirs forever. Many Americans call it a day of thanksgiving. Many of our people call it a day of mourning." With no further explanation.

Yes, I would like to include more indigenous voices in my library collection. And absolutely I would like more truthful tellings of the time. But I am not a fan of this particular book.


The Button BoxThe Button Box by Bridget Hodder
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Clunky dialogue and the ending speeches were kind of ridiculous. I appreciate what the authors were trying to do, but it didn't work for me.




DNF: Amazing Landmarks (I liked it, but didn't read the entire thing), A Rover's Story, Singing with Elephants

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work by Meredith C. Moore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.