I kept up with the recommendation summaries on my school blog, but not on my thoughts here. Not that anyone is really looking for them, but I am a completist and must now catch up on the past two years.
For Grownups
All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella’s Stepmother by Danielle TellerMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I still can't believe the Abbess took away the brewery. What a bitch.
Picture Books
Touch the Sky by Stephanie V.W. LucianovicMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I could find nothing wrong with this book and look forward to using it at school for Mock Caldecott and SEL readalouds, as the kinetic illustrations support a story about grit in a VERY relatable situation.
The Squish: An Uplifting Story of a Sand Castle Learning Resilience for Kids by Breanna CarzooMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Fall 7 times, stand up 8!
Lucky Duck by Greg PizzoliMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I love that all the bad luck comes together! And students will love looking for the little bug friend in each spread.
Finding Grateful by Dianne WhiteMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Recently, while glaring at the dishes in the sink - there are ALWAYS more dishes appearing in the sink - I decided to reframe the situation as "Aren't I lucky to have whatever food I want whenever I want it? Aren't I lucky to have a partner who helps cook it? Aren't I lucky to have running water? Aren't I lucky to have a dishwasher to deal with most of the dishes?"
A couple of weeks ago, after attending a mindfulness workshop with friends, I started thinking about how I could incorporate some of the principles to calm my students the f*ck down. This book will help. I may pair it with "Now" by Antoinette Portis.
Nana in the Country by Lauren CastilloMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Very sweet follow-up to "Nana in the City." Not sure if will resonate with my students, but we'll see.
No Cats in the Library by Lauren EmmonsMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
While I question the sanitation levels of having a stray cat in the library, I liked the muted palette and the theme of encouraging emerging readers.
The Blue Pickup: A Charming Picture Book About Fixing, Family, and Joy in Jamaica for Kids by Natasha TripplettMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Very sweet, and I love that it is a girl learning how to fix cars. Not sure how into it my students would be ... would be more inclined to buy if I had any from Jamaica.
My Book and Me by Linda Sue ParkMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
What librarian won't like this book? I think I will use this for Mock Caldecott for K and 1, and to introduce the book talk assignment for 3-5.
Chapter Books
Ava Lin: Best Friend by Vicky FangMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Delightful. I laughed out loud when she stuck the special pebble in her ear since she had her pocketed clothes confiscated after a laundry incident.
Unfortunately, very few of my first graders would be able to read this. But I'm going to get it for those few.
The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman by Gennifer CholdenkoMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
So so many kids have parents who just can't take care of them ... it makes me sad, and it makes me wonder just how many of my students are in situations they shouldn't be. I am thankful that Choldenko chose to make Hank's new classmates kind v. including any bullying. I could only handle so much angst.
Tree. Table. Book.: A Heartwarming Story of Memory, Friendship, and Love Across Generations for Kids by Lois LowryMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
A return to old form for Lowry ... this read like a book from my childhood. LOVED young Sophie's narration. Not sure if my students would understand Sophie Gershowitz' stories.
p. 7 - "Begin on the day that is different."
Nonfiction
José Feeds the World: How a Famous Chef Feeds Millions of People in Need around the World by David UngerMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I love Jose. I love World Central Kitchen. I love this book.
Two picture book biographies about Jose are out, and I think this one is better geared towards kids and better as straight nonfiction. Lots of details shared concisely with bright artwork. Will definitely use for Mock Sibert and have video cued up to show Jose in action.
ETA: Just realized the illustrator lives in Spain. Which means this can't win a Sibert. Boooooo.
The Fabulous Fannie Farmer: Kitchen Scientist and America’s Cook by Emma Bland SmithMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I had to call my mom a couple of years ago because the recipe she gave me for Irish Soda Bread called for "an egg" of shortening. I think kids will be amazed that recipes used to be so loosey-goosey. Or maybe they won't. But I'm thinking I can read this for Mock Sibert and then have some kind of recipe-reading lesson. Too bad we aren't allowed to bring in food these days.
One Day This Tree Will Fall by Leslie Barnard BoothMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I suspect this may be taken both literally and figuratively ... one of those books that has a calming effect.
The Sea Hides a Seahorse by Sara T. BehrmanMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Gorgeous illustrations and fantastic action verbs and vocabulary. But the school librarian in me is leery of having a picture of seahorses mating (even when tastefully done) in the collection. Also, it isn't straight nonfiction, so I wouldn't be sure where to shelve it.
No comments:
Post a Comment