Monday, August 17, 2026

Best Reads of Spring 2026

Of the 48 books I read, these were my favorites. Click on the titles to read plot summaries. If you'd like to see all of my books, you can follow me on Goodreads.


Picture Books


Towed by ToadTowed by Toad by Jashar Awan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's got some rhymes (but is written in prose), it's got vehicles, it's got a message ... what's not to like?
 

Your Truck (Your Things)Your Truck by Jon Klassen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Has this man won a genius grant yet?

 

Is It Spring?Is It Spring? by Kevin Henkes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Don't be fooled, kids!

I shall be reading this book to my students going forward. Stupid April snow and frost!
 

While We’re HereWhile We’re Here by Anne Wynter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I LOVE Archers's style, and I really liked the spirit of the story. But did nobody text to ask why they missed the party?

 

LoopsLoops by Jashar Awan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Adorable, but not sure if my 1st graders - with whom I do Mock Caldecott - will find it too babyish. That being said, half of them still can't tie their own shoes, so ...

One issue: the narrator doesn't tie his shoes the way I learned!



Nonfiction

  

Talking Books: Audiobook Inventor Dr. Robert B. Irwin and a New Way to ReadTalking Books: Audiobook Inventor Dr. Robert B. Irwin and a New Way to Read by Jenny Lacika
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thank you, Dr. Irwin, for your invention!!!!

This would have been 5 stars but for the cover of LADY CHATTERLY'S LOVER that is included in the illustrations. These days, teachers can be crucified for anything, and I am almost reluctant to read this to my students for Mock Sibert because you never know. Maybe I can stick a fake other cover on the page?


The Ocean's Heart: The Tiny Creatures Essential to LifeThe Ocean's Heart: The Tiny Creatures Essential to Life by Jilanne Hoffmann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lyrically written ... I wish Le were American so I could use it for Mock Sibert! I'm thinking of doing some kind of ocean unit next year, and if so, I'll use this. In the meantime, I will be today years old when I learned that jellyfish are zooplankton.

 

The Secret World of SeahorsesThe Secret World of Seahorses by Nicola Davies
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This would have been perfect for Mock Sibert if the creative team was American. I may still use it as a readaloud ... nice clear presentation of facts and conservation efforts.
 



For Grownups

  

A Deadly Episode (Hawthorne & Horowitz, #6)A Deadly Episode by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm still a bit perplexed as to the murderer's motive, but a good listen that gives a few more clues about Hawthorne's past. Well, maybe not so much clues as a few scraps of information. Give me more!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work by Meredith C. Moore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.