Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Best Reads of Summer 2026

Of the 39 books I read, these were my favorites. Click on the titles to read plot summaries. If you'd like to see all of my books, you can follow me on Goodreads. 


Picture Books


Toad on the Go (Towed by Toad)Toad on the Go by Jashar Awan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Love the message. Hoping it will resonate with my students.
 


Invisible ThingsInvisible Things by Andy J Pizza
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Awww, SEL with a totally cool delivery. This could work with the older kids.



 

The Animals Would Not Sleep! (Storytelling Math)The Animals Would Not Sleep! by Sara Levine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This had more action and more sophisticated illustrations than "Cat Show," and I loved the connection at the end to classifying animals, which is a lesson I have considered doing with the older kids. Will plan to use.
 

3 Little Firefighters: An Award-Winning MathStart Story About Sorting for Kids (Ages 4-8) (MathStart 1, 16)3 Little Firefighters: An Award-Winning MathStart Story About Sorting for Kids (Ages 4-8) by Stuart J. Murphy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Could pair with Pete's belly button showing, and totally reminded me of the lost button Frog and Toad story (which is referenced in the back matter). As much as I would like to have actual buttons for the kids to sort, they are likely to disappear into pockets. Ooh, wait, I am finding 50-100 button sets on Etsy for $5.
 

My TigerMy Tiger by Joy Cowley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Loved the clean and simple writing.
Screamed at the ending.

 
 

Trouble TalkTrouble Talk by Trudy Ludwig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Realistic situations presented in a kid-friendly, matter-of-fact manner without being too preachy.





Nonfiction   


Formula Fast: Your Ultimate Guide to Formula One Racing!Formula Fast: Your Ultimate Guide to Formula One Racing! by Matt Ralphs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As someone whose partner watches F1 and puts up with my zillion questions while I'm also in the room, I think this is an excellent intro with a ton of information presented clearly and succinctly. Too bad I had to look at Max Verstappen's avatar on one page. Gross.
 

Fourteen Ways of Looking at JellyfishFourteen Ways of Looking at Jellyfish by Carole Boston Weatherford
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Full of facts, and I love that Ibatoulline changes up his illustration style on the different spreads. But I cannot read the word "sperm" to my students. Just can't do it.




For Grownups


 

Pictures of YouPictures of You by Emma Grey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A well-constructed flashback story ... and just a really good STORY. Even if some of the characters are despicable. There are a few weeks left of beach season ... bring this!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work by Meredith C. Moore is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.